Phytochemicals in addition to vitamins, minerals, and fibers are thought to be the bioactive compounds responsible for contributing to the health benefits of a plant based diet.
How to Choose Phytochemicals
- Choose three different colors of fruits and vegetables each day.
- Try a new fruit or vegetable each week.
- Use new spices – not just salt and pepper.
- Add vegetables to sauces and casseroles.
- Double your typical serving of vegetables.
- Add asparagus, pesto, artichokes to pizza.
- Buy jars of chopped garlic and basil.
- Snack on whole grain crackers.
- Switch to whole wheat bread, brown rice and whole wheat pasta.
- Add fruit to cereals or vegetables to eggs.
- Try High Fiber V-8 juice instead of sugary orange juice.
- Include nuts in stir frys and baked goods.
- Sprinkle flaxseed on your oatmeal.
CLICK HERE. for more.