- What does any label that says “organic” mean? What are the criteria for organic certification?
USDA rules for qualifying as organic.
- Must be grown in soils not treated with synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides for at least three years
- Cannot be fertilized with sewer sludge
- Cannot be treated with radiation
- Cannot be grown from genetically modified seeds or contain genetic modified ingredients
- Cannot be raised in “factory-like” confinement conditions
- Cannot be given antibiotics or hormones to prevent disease or promote growth.
- Must be given feed products that are 100% organic.